Excitement tonight! I had my first real fire in the kitchen!
Grilled pork ("grilled" as in heated from above, rather than barbecued). I put 3 pork loin steaks under the grill, then turned the grill on. I didn't pre-heat. I then put some broccoli and cauliflower florets into a microwave steamer and gave the microwave 3 minutes.
After 3 minutes, I turned the pork and tested the veggies - still hard, so I put them on for another 2 minutes.
As the microwave timer went off, I went to check on the pork and veggies. Pork first.
I noticed that there was smoke coming out of the grill, so I turned it off. I opened the grill door and pulled the grill tray. "WHOOOF!" and flames erupted from the tray, up over the controls and half way up the microwave above. I thought to myself "this is interesting. I wonder how I put that out ..." and I shoved the grill tray back into the grill, shutting the door behind it, on the presumption that the oxygen would be used within seconds. It worked, and the fire was extinguished.
Loads of smoke was billowing out of the grill, and the smoke alarms were all complaining at me, but I decided that it was more important to retrieve the pork before the meat took on too much of the taste of smoke, so I got the pork out of the grill before turning off the smoke alarm. I realised that the whole basement was filled with smoke, so I had to open the window and turn on the extractor fan.
Every 5 minutes, for 20 minutes, the smoke alarms blared "SIREN SIREN SIREN - LEAVE THE HOUSE. THERE IS SMOKE IN THE KITCHEN!". The noise came from all three smoke alarms.
The pork tasted ok to me, although my partner commented "the pork is as tough as shoe leather".