Sunday 16 January 2011

Weights and Measures 2

Teaspoons and Tablespoons

As can be seen from the comments on my last two blog posts, tablespoon volume measurements are used for various things. I had never thought of using a tablespoon measurement for something hard, as I wouldn't be able to pour the substance reliably.

I have small spoons for stirring coffee (and eating ice cream).
I have spoons for taking medicine.
I have spoons for eating soup.
I have spoons for eating desserts.
I have spoons for serving vegetables.
I have wooden spoons for stirring things in pots.
I have no idea whether any of these conform to "teaspoon" or "tablespoon" measurements, but I guess that none of them do.

Some recipes require tea- or table-spoons of a substance, some require heaped tea- or table-spoons. If a recipe calls for a liquid in spoon measurements, I guess that some specific volume of spoon needs to be filled to surface-tension point, but alternatively it could be asking to be filled to a point level with the rim.  The difference in volume won't be much, but if we are dealing with one teaspoon of something, the volume difference might be significant.

However, what about heaped measurements? If a recipe calls for a heaped spoonful, what angle of heap is required? Should the substance be gently domed over the spoon, at some pre-determined angle, or should the spoon be rammed into the substance as far as it will go and the amount of substance that can be crammed onto the spoon is the correct amount?

If we cake hot chocolate as an example ... the angle of friction is very high, With care, I can easily get inches of chocolate onto a small spoon. However, if we take granulated sugar, I can hardly get more height on top of the spoon than the spoon's depth. Which of these is heaped, or are they both heaped?

4 comments:

  1. Having not seen your spoons, I will guess here - I would guess that your two spoons which are "standard" size (to me) would be the ones you use for eating soup and eating desserts. Likely the larger one is a tablespoon and the smaller one is a teaspoon but, again, I'm not looking at your spoons. :)

    I have 2 sizes of spoons in my main silverware set and that's how they break down - the larger one is a tablespoon and the smaller is a teaspoon (more or less). If you worry about this, I'd just stick to using measuring spoon sets.

    As for "heaping"... well, when a recipe calls for a "heaping" something or other I have found that usually that recipe isn't very precise for that ingredient - if you put in a little more or a little less, it doesn't seem to hurt anything. From what I've seen, a "heaping" spoonful means to stick the spoon into whatever substance, scoop out as much as you can and then toss it in. I think it's similar to "dash" and "pinch" where MY pinch might be smaller than YOUR pinch, but they're both going to be close enough and will do the trick in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually for these purposes, a tea spoon is the small one used for stirring coffee and a tablespoon is the one used for serving vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tablespoon is MUCH larger than a dessert or soup, and there's usually one of them in a full proper cutlery set. I'm guessing it's what Marie refers to as "the one used for serving vegetables"

    Completely agree on the explanation for a heaped spoon - put it into the ingredient, and whatever easily stays on the spoon, without trying to be clever and tricky, when you take it back out (holding the handle horizontal) is a "heaped" spoon. There's no need to be too finicky about this measure.

    Also, a liquid measure is always the meniscus point, i.e. as you've correctly surmised, the point at which the surface tension keeps the liquid on the spoon. However, no need to be TOO finicky about this, a drop or two under won't make a difference ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. American teaspoons and tablespoons, in cooking parlance, refer to specific tools used for measurement and nothing else. (I.e., you would not stir your tea with a teaspoon, nor sit at dinner with your tablespoon!) If I had to compare them volumetrically, though, a teaspoon is about a teaspoon, and a tablespoon is a little bigger than what I would refer to a soup spoon. (A measurement tablespoon equals three teaspoons over here.)

    Liquid spoon measurements:

    Liquids always have meniscii. Depending on what liquid you are working with, it will be more or less noticeable. I try to work with a spoon filled to level with the rim, not to maximum surface-tension point. Most recipes aren't THAT picky, but I would not try to fill the spoon as full as you can possibly get it by taking every last advantage of surface tension. You could get a notable difference when using strongly flavored liquids (hot sauce, peppermint extract, etc.) With water or oil, I wouldn't worry about it.

    Liquid measures in a measuring cup are always the meniscus point. A measuring cup for liquid always has the measuring line below the top of the cup, and has a spout for ease in pouring. If the measuring cup's line is the same as the top of the cup, it's intended for dry measure. You can use one for the other, but it's tough to use a wet-measure cup for dry ingredients, especially if you need to level off something like flour. I would avoid that.

    Heaped measurements:

    I agree with previous comments that recipes using heaped spoons are not very precise to start with. I generally scoop in and use whatever I come up with. Note that vigorous scooping can pack material into the spoon and even further increase the volume, which is probably not desireable. It may be best to loosen the material with a wooden spoon handle or fork (I often use a chopstick) and then scoop.

    >>>>If we cake hot chocolate as an example ... the angle of friction is very high, With care, I can easily get inches of chocolate onto a small spoon. However, if we take granulated sugar, I can hardly get more height on top of the spoon than the spoon's depth. Which of these is heaped, or are they both heaped?

    They are both heaped. But generally if the recipe author knows what they're doing, they will not use "heaped" with an ingredient that doesn't heap well. Heaped granulated sugar, I would interpret as "use a spoon, but a little extra won't kill you".

    ReplyDelete